Welcome to The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive
This site attempts to bring together some of the information about Newport-on-Tay, Wormit and Forgan in Fife, Scotland, which exists largely on paper and to make it searchable. Of the many sources available, to date we have
- Directories: the Newport & Wormit section of the Dundee Directories (complete from 1825 - 1892, plus some years to 1974, when the publication ceased)
- the Hearth Tax list of 1692 - 1695
- the Old Parochial Registers of Baptisms, Forgan parish, 1695 - 1854
- the Old Parochial Registers of Marriages, Forgan parish, 1703 - 1855
- Mortcloth Payments, 1695 - 1835 (for records of deaths)
- Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901
- lists of old house names together with their present-day address
- lists of the streets, with old house names given
- a list of old street names with their present-day equivalents
- Valuation Rolls, 1855 - 1881
- Registers of Voters, 1833 - 1900
- names on the War Memorials
- a developer's plan of Wormit, 1889
- Shareholders of the Wormit Electric Company, 1923 - 1929
- a methodology detailing the background to the databases
Added in November 2013:
- More directories, 1897-98, 1898-99, 1903-04, 1905-06, 1907-08, 1908-09, 1931-32, 1937-38, 1951-52, 1967, 1971
Added in December 2013:
- More directories, 1903 Slater, 1933-34, 1953-54, 1963, 1973
More is to follow.
You can search across all the databases on the site using the form below. It doesn't find dates or reference numbers, but will find almost anything else. Results are given as a number of 'finds', with a link to the main relevant page, but you will have to repeat the search there to find the actual entries.
We hope you find the site informative.
The site was created in 2001 with a small selection of information. This major upgrade was launched on St. Andrew's Day 2012.
William McM. Owen & Rujirek Vanavisut