Welcome to The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive
This site attempts to bring together some of the information about Newport-on-Tay, Wormit and Forgan in Fife, Scotland, which exists largely on paper and to make it searchable. Of the many sources available, to date we have
- Directories: the Newport & Wormit section of the Dundee Directories (complete from 1825 - 1892, plus some years to 1974, when the publication ceased)
- the Hearth Tax list of 1692 - 1695
- the Old Parochial Registers of Baptisms, Forgan parish, 1695 - 1854
- the Old Parochial Registers of Marriages, Forgan parish, 1703 - 1855
- Mortcloth Payments, 1695 - 1835 (for records of deaths)
- Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901
- lists of old house names together with their present-day address
- lists of the streets, with old house names given
- a list of old street names with their present-day equivalents
- Valuation Rolls, 1855 - 1881
- Registers of Voters, 1833 - 1900
- names on the War Memorials
- A library with links to published histories and descriptions of the parish; plus pages missing from the internet copy of Neish's History of Newport... and a name index to the book; the constitution of the Comerton Home; Education questionnaire 1838.
- Maps: parish boundary, 19th century feuing areas, maps from Dundee Directories, and links to maps on other sites.
- a developer's plan of Wormit, 1889
- Shareholders of the Wormit Electric Company, 1923 - 1929
- a methodology detailing the background to the databases
- a link to an index of Births 1855 - 1874, & Marriages 1855 - 1875
Added in March 2014:
- More directories: 1923-24, 1927-28, 1928-29
- A list of local men who signed up as Special Constables, 1914 - 1920
- More texts in the library:
- The general search (below) now searches all individual text pages too.
Added in April 2014:
- More directories: 1936-37, 1950-51, 1952-53, 1956-57, 1957-58
- Notes on the Newport Town Council Minutes: 1912-19, 1956-57, 1959-62
- Updates, corrections and changes.
More is to follow.
You can search across all the databases on the site using the form below. It doesn't find dates or reference numbers, but will find almost anything else. Results are given as a number of 'finds', with a link to the main relevant page, but you will have to repeat the search there to find the actual entries.
We hope you find the site informative.
The site was created in 2001 with a small selection of information. This major upgrade was launched on St. Andrew's Day 2012.
William McM. Owen & Rujirek Vanavisut