Welcome to The Newport, Wormit & Forgan Archive
This site brings together some of the information about Newport-on-Tay, Wormit and Forgan in Fife, Scotland, which exists largely on paper and makes it searchable. Of the many sources available, to date we have
- Directories: the Newport & Wormit section of the Dundee Directories, and the Newport, Wormit & Forgan sections of national directories (e.g. Slater, Macdonald). All known directories from 1825 - 1974.
- the Hearth Tax list of 1692 - 1695
- the Old Parochial Registers of Baptisms, Forgan parish, 1695 - 1854
- the Old Parochial Registers of Marriages, Forgan parish, 1703 - 1855
- Mortcloth Payments, 1695 - 1835 (for records of deaths)
- Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901
- lists of old house names together with their present-day address
- lists of the streets, with old house names given
- a list of old street names with their present-day equivalents
- Valuation Rolls, 1855 - 1917
- Registers of Voters, 1833 - 1900
- names on the War Memorials
- A library with links to published histories and descriptions of the parish; plus pages missing from the internet copy of Neish's History of Newport... and a name index to the book; the constitution of the Comerton Home; several articles on the History of Newport; and more.
- Maps: parish boundary, 19th century feuing areas, maps from Dundee Directories, and links to maps on other sites.
- a developer's plan of Wormit, 1889
- Shareholders of the Wormit Electric Company, 1923 - 1929
- a methodology detailing the background to the databases
- a link to an index of Births 1855 - 1874, & Marriages 1855 - 1875
- A list of local men who signed up as Special Constables, 1914 - 1920
- Notes on the Newport Town Council Minutes 1897 - 1962, with gaps
Added in October 2015:
Added in November 2015:
- Valuation Roll: 1889-90
- Download page: brings all downloads into one location; includes several items with no relevance to Forgan whatsoever
- names recorded on the St Fillan's U F Church War Memorial
- Added to updated Library Contents page:
- Transcript of Forgan section of The 'Old' Statistical Account of Scotland, 1793
- Transcript of Forgan section of The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 1838
- Transcript of Forgan section of History of the County of Fife, J M Leighton, 1840
- Transcript of Forgan section of David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1819)
- Transcript of Forgan section of Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland (1842)
- Transcript of Forgan section of Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846)
- Transcript of Forgan section of Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan (1857)
- Transcript of relevant sections of Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)
- Transcript of relevant sections of Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1892-6)
- Transcripts of some chapters of Neish's History of Newport and the Parish of Forgan; and Rambles Round the District, 1890
- Links to relevent entries in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae - (biographies of Church of Scotland ministers)
More is to follow.
You can search across all the databases and all the individual pages on the site using the form below. It doesn't find dates or reference numbers, but will find almost anything else. Results are given as a number of 'finds', with a link to the actual entries.
We hope you find the site informative.
The site was created in 2001 with a small selection of information. This major upgrade was launched on St. Andrew's Day 2012.
William McM. Owen & Rujirek Vanavisut